How to go to Nami Island by Train from Myeongdong Station
The journey from Myeongdong Station to Gapyeong Station where Nami Island is located will take about 1 hour 30 minutes. As you need to change train line 3 times for this trip, it is not advisable to sleep or take a nap during this trip or you may miss the stations to change line.
With that said, let's get started with the journey to Nami Island:
- From Myeong-dong Station, take LINE 4 train heading to the direction of Chungmuro Station to get to Dongdaemun History & Culture Park Station.
- When arriving at Dongdaemun History & Culture Park Station, change to LINE 2 and take the train heading towards Sindang Station to get to Wangsimni Station.
- When arriving at Wangsimni Station, change to JUNGANG LINE and take the train heading towards Cheong-nyangni to get to Mangu Station.
- When arriving at Mangu Station, change to KYEONGCHUN LINE and take the train heading towards Galmae Station to get to Gapyeong Station, which is our destination.
|Train Route from Myeong-dong Station to Gapyeong Station (Nami Island).|
Once you are at Gapyeong Station, you need to take a short taxi trip (costs about KRW2500-3000) to get to the ferry wharf to Nami Island. You could also walk but it will take you 20-30 minutes and the direction to the ferry wharf is not straight forward. Local bus is also available if you are willing to wait a bit.
Once arriving at the ferry wharf, proceed to the ticket booth to buy your "Entry Visa" to Nami Island which costs KRW8,000, which includes ferry to and from Nami Island and, of course, entry to Nami Island.
That's it. A simple guide to get to Nami Island from Myeong-dong Station by train. Sounds complicated at the first look but this is the flexible way to get to Nami Island from Myeong-dong. Unlike bus trip which has only one departure and return time, you can depart and return to Myeongdong at anytime of the day you want. However, if you prefer less hassle of changing train line, try taking a bus...
From Myeong-dong to Nami Island by Shuttle Bus
First of all, the bus to Nami Island does not depart from Myeong-dong. The bus depart from Insadong and there is only one bus a day. Make sure you make advance booking before the trip to secure your seat. Booking can be one done by calling the enquiry line phone number at +82-2-753-1247.
So, with that said, here is how to go from Myeongdong to Nami Island by shuttle bus.
- Take the subway from Myeongdong Station to Insadong. First, take the train from Myeong-dong Station on LINE 4 to Seoul Station. Once arriving at Seoul Station, change to LINE 1 and take the train towards City Hall station to get to Jonggak Station.
Train from Myeong-dong to Insadong Tapgol Park bus stop to Nami Island.
- Upon arriving at Jonggak Station, get out of the station using EXIT 3. Walk to the east direction for about 250 meters until your rach Tapgol Park. The Bus Stop for bus to Nami Island is right next to the Tapgol Park at Insadong.
- Take the bus directly to the ferry wharf of Nami Island. NOTE THAT the bus departs at 9:30am. The return bus will leave Nami Island ferry wharf at 4:00pm in the afternoon to head back to Insadong.
The two-way ticket for shuttle bus to Nami Island costs KRW23,000. This is not expensive given that it also includes the KRW8000 "Entry Visa" (ferry included) to Nami Island.
From Myeongdong to Nami Island
Yes, the journey from Myeongdong to Nami Island is not straight forward, either by train or by bus, but it is definitely worth it once you are there at the beautiful and romantic Nami Island. You may feel exhausted by the end of the day but you will certainly return to Myeongdong with sweet memories from Nami Island.